CONFERENCE EXCURSIONS

All participants of the conference are invited to enjoy the different excursions.

PALACE OF THE GRAND DUKES OF LITHUANIA

Excursion 1. PALACE OF THE GRAND DUKES OF LITHUANIA

The reconstructed Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, the former political, diplomatic, cultural center of the State, was one of the most famous in Europe in the 15th-17th centures and was demolished in the beginning of the 19th century. This Palace is excellent located just in the heart of Vilnius, within the confines of Lower Castle. Nowadays the Gothic, Renaissance and Early Baroque halls of this multifunctional Museum are ideally applicable to organize a different size and content public events, official visits, conferences, meetings, seminars, concerts, performances, receptions and other.

 

Part of the reconstructed Palace of the Grand Dukes in Vilnius Lower Castle officially transferred to the Museum. In the reconstructed Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania there are two exhibition tour routes directly related to the historical functions of this residence. The first tour will show the historical and architectural develop ment of the palace by highlighting the ancient ruins still in place, excavated artifacts and by using models and iconographic materials. The second tour route will bring the visitors into the ceremonial halls, which have been reconstructed in such a way as to show the evolution of architectural styles – from the late Gothic to the Renaissance to the early Baroque.

 

SECRETS OF VILNIUS COURTYARDS

Excursion 2. SECRETS OF VILNIUS COURTYARDS

The Old Town of Vilnius guards a lot of secrets. The remains of ancient brick walls and stone houses can be seen in the old courtyards, which used to belong to the noblemen and the gentry. Vilnius courtyards hide the history of the city and its dwellers, and we kindly invite you to become acquainted with it.

Duration — 2  hours on foot.

Sites

  •   The courtyard of A. Mickevičius Museum
  •   Pilies street. 22 (the first Botanical Garden of Vilnius University)
  •   The courtyard of the Chodkevičiai Palace
  •   The courtyard of the Pacai Palace
  •   Alumnatas courtyard
  •   Šv. Ignoto street, Dominikonų street
  •   The courtyard of the Church of St. Michael

The list of objects may vary.

 

TRAKAI CASTLE AND MUSEUM TOUR

Excursion 3. TRAKAI CASTLE AND MUSEUM TOUR

Trakai town located 28 kilometres to the West of Vilnius, was a cradle of the Lithuanian statehood, an important military and political centre, headquarters of the Lithuanian Grand Dukes, and the capital of Lithuania. Construction of the Island Castle on one of the larger islands of Galvė Lake began in the second half of the 14th century. Presumably, the construction of the castle was begun by the Grand Duke Kęstutis and was concluded in the early 15th century by his son Vytautas. These rulers were very important characters in Lithuanian history thus the Trakai Island Castle had also played a significant role.


In 1410 just after the famous Battle of Grünenwald, the castle was turned into a residence of Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas. Later on, in the 16th century, the role of the castle went down and the visits of Grand Dukes became increasingly seldom. The Lithuanian Metrics that had been kept in the castle was moved to Vilnius in 1511, and the Island Castle became a prison for noblemen. After desolating invasion of Muscovy troops in 1655–1661, Trakai was plundered and burned down; the Island Castle was destroyed and remained ruined; the city did not revive and became a small provincial town. The Castle has been reconstructed in years 1929-1987 and currently houses a museum of Lithuanian history.